Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

Good board for jumping with Moses 633 hydrofoil

Created by Swavek > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2020
Swavek
WA, 393 posts
13 Nov 2020 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

During my twintipping times I loved boosting. Then I switched to hydrofoiling and I am ready to try some jumps on the hydrofoil (Moses 633). What do you think are best parameters for the hydrofoil board to be used for boosting?

A short pocket board with central front and back hooks was the weapon of the guy I see occasionally. I can understand the hooks - you need to release your ankles whenever things don't go to plan. I can imagine you don't want the board to be too big so the landing can be softer.

What is your recipe for the perfect hydrofoil boosting board and why?

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
13 Nov 2020 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Moses 633 is not a choice many would make for jumping.
I suggest you check some Moses forums for advice.

Swavek
WA, 393 posts
13 Nov 2020 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

I realize that there are better wings for jumping but I have 633 only and plan to keep things simple (stick to one only). 633 will go faster than twintip, carve upwind better than twintip, and hold tension in lines better than twintip, so should be better than any twintip and I will be happy with this.

My question is about the optimum board.

Raw Boards
WA, 66 posts
13 Nov 2020 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

I can build you one..

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
14 Nov 2020 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pilz said..
I can build you one..

My next post was to recommend you.
On the east coast we are very happy with your boards.
I was trying to be helpful in my previous comment as I think most would say the foil is possibly more important than the board.

Swavek
WA, 393 posts
14 Nov 2020 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, understand and appreciate the comments on foil, yet still don't plan to get another foil.

Let's wait and see what further comments we get on the board from people who actually jump on foil...

Raw Boards
WA, 66 posts
14 Nov 2020 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Warwick...
I think it helps using a shorter board it defenately has to be build strong along the center line to prevent brakes.
Have snapped boards around that area from landing impact when doing decent jumps.
Also gonna remember the front wings on your foil do not like hard landings have snapped 4 wings so far..
For me the half straps (hooks) are the better option compare to straps, its easier to kick your bord off mid air when you realise the landing isnt going to plan.

Raw Boards
WA, 66 posts
14 Nov 2020 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
15 Nov 2020 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

I've been foiling for 4 seasons and have been boosting pretty much from the get go. I've never had any breakage or stress issues from any of my boards... I'm pretty confident any board will be OK. I've used exopy and carbon boards fom 165 to 120cm and have seen plenty using thin plywood style boards for foil board boosting. Landing a foil board jump requires that the rider hits the water no or very little downwind speed... any substantial landing speed tt style can cause uncontrollable lift and a bad outcome.
Timing the redirect of the Kite to be later is all that is required. It is however a fine line between too late which means you will drop and sink and just right which results in a smooth non chaotic landing.
Foil kites are my choice for foilboard boosting because they give a parachute style landing as well as more boost height and much longer float.
I would try boosting on whatever you already have before deciding you need a different board... it's no biggy once you've found the nads to send it and see what happens.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
15 Nov 2020 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snalberski said..
I've been foiling for 4 seasons and have been boosting pretty much from the get go. I've never had any breakage or stress issues from any of my boards... I'm pretty confident any board will be OK. I've used exopy and carbon boards

Well, think again. Not all boards are made equal and the type of laminate doesn't tell you that the right component has been used to build it (i.e type of core, PVC reinforcement, etc...)Not sure what you meant by "I've used epoxy and carbon boards" but Epoxy is not a cloth but a type of resin. You use it to wet out your laminate, fibreglass or carbon fibre alike.

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
16 Nov 2020 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..

snalberski said..
I've been foiling for 4 seasons and have been boosting pretty much from the get go. I've never had any breakage or stress issues from any of my boards... I'm pretty confident any board will be OK. I've used exopy and carbon boards

Well, think again. Not all boards are made equal and the type of laminate doesn't tell you that the right component has been used to build it (i.e type of core, PVC reinforcement, etc...)Not sure what you meant by "I've used epoxy and carbon boards" but Epoxy is not a cloth but a type of resin. You use it to wet out your laminate, fibreglass or carbon fibre alike.

Above and beyond your requirement for pedantic semantics I'm sure every reader knows what is meant by an epoxy or a carbon board (epoxy fiberglass vs bagged carbon fiber), and I would wager the majority of readers use that terminology. All my boards have been made by established and regarded manufacturers so an assumption about build quality including components used is inferred. Maybe I should have said 'I'm pretty confident any board from an established or proven builder will be OK'
Incidentally how many of the boards that you have built have snapped?

thecarbonco
QLD, 19 posts
18 Nov 2020 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Vape 120. 120cm x 48cm.
Endless strap options.
Made in Aus.
Bombproof.
Jumps like a beast but most importantly lands so well. All that smooth rocker. 6mm pads now also for Max comfort.

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
18 Nov 2020 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thecarbonco said..
Vape 120. 120cm x 48cm.

Hey thecarbonco ,
Nice foil did you make that too??
If yes chuck some photos...
the 110 I bought from you has stood my abuse...
Cheers
AP

thecarbonco
QLD, 19 posts
18 Nov 2020 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AquaPlow said..

thecarbonco said..
Vape 120. 120cm x 48cm.

Hey thecarbonco ,
Nice foil did you make that too??
If yes chuck some photos...
the 110 I bought from you has stood my abuse...
Cheers
AP

Yewhh.
yeah all in house. 1 pce set up with so its very stiff. its actually my prone surf foil. 75cm mast. I think around the 1200 mark on the front wing. has been trashed and repaired so many times. Pretty fun set up for landing in the fly also.
Those 110's are also sick. Keep flogging it, they can cop it.

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 745 posts
18 Nov 2020 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snalberski said..

Livit said..

snalberski said..

Above and beyond your requirement for pedantic semantics I'm sure every reader knows what is meant by an epoxy or a carbon board (epoxy fiberglass vs bagged carbon fiber), and I would wager the majority of readers use that terminology. All my boards have been made by established and regarded manufacturers so an assumption about build quality including components used is inferred. Maybe I should have said 'I'm pretty confident any board from an established or proven builder will be OK'
Incidentally how many of the boards that you have built have snapped?

Yeah agree.. land softly, and boards don't break. Land hard, they might. Start small, use whatever board, try not to suck.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
30 Nov 2020 5:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Swavek,

Check out the new Moses T35. Nice little pocket boar d.
www.kitemana.com/moses-hydrofoil/t35-carbon-foilboard-86575
DM

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
30 Nov 2020 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Nice board

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"Good board for jumping with Moses 633 hydrofoil" started by Swavek