Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Review for Goya Bolt Pro 135L with foil box, deck issues and mods

Created by Sandman1221 > 9 months ago, 3 May 2021
Sandman1221
2776 posts
3 May 2021 3:09AM
Thumbs Up

Have had my Goya Bolt Pro 135 for just over two years (2019 model year), use it only for foiling. Reason I got it was because I wanted a foil capable board similar in dimensions of my JP Magic Ride 142 FWS which was my first intermediate board. Thought I would use it for foiling and finning, but only use it for foiling.

Pros:
1) The Bolt is about 1 kg lighter than the MR, but it feels a lot lighter, which is good, can pick up the whole kit with board flipped over on the mast with one hand on the rail and other hand on boom.
2) The foil box is impact proof, have hit sandbars, crab trap buoy lines, manatees (scraped the back), all without any damage inside or outside the box.
3) Overall really like it for foiling, in light wind the length allows me to get the board speed up before takeoff, versus a shorter foil board that would hit the chop and slow down (demoed one). In higher winds with 1-2+ foot waves the longer length again gets me over wave crests when starting out and in flight, and going down wind can drop the board down onto waves and surf them really fast!

Cons:
1) The biggest problem is the board has a concave deck, with a ridge running around it, and when the mast falls, or is in the water, it hits that ridge. Because the mast contacts such a small area of the board deck the force it high and the ridge gets dented, and then because the ridge is curved outward the carbon deck separates from the compressed/dented EPS leaving a small 1/2" wide x 1-3" long flexible area just along the ridge. The dented deck stays stuck to the EPS on any flattish areas of the deck. Also, with my Streamlined ext., the collar hits the deck and dents it just past the ridge when the ext. is at 18-28 cm (see pic 1). See fix below.
2) The mast track is just barely far enough back to balance my AFS W95 foil (88 cm fuselage), have a 1/4" to spare, so fine for my foil BUT I have to use a single bolt mast base and I would rather use my Streamlined two bolt base. Read on the Goya website newer models had the track moved farther back.
3) Foot strap anti locks are a little tricky to install, needed a flashlight to make sure the locking pins went all the way down into the spare screw holes, and did not get caught on the recessed screw hole edge, because then the straps will rotate. Straps are comfortable (MFC brand).
4) Did get some corrosion of the paint around the foil box where it met the carbon foil head flange, coated with a thin film of epoxy to stop it.
5) Customer support was great, always got back fast pre Covid, until I had the issue with the deck ridge dents pilling up, then no response (April 2021), could be Covid related, do not know.

Deck fix?
My fix for the deck was first to install EVA padding to protect it from foot impacts and hopefully keep the small delaminated ridge dents from spreading, no evidence they have spread so far (see pic 2). But to prevent the mast from hitting the deck ridge period I am getting a longer mast base screw so I can raise the mast base up about an inch so the mast will hit outside the deck ridge on a flattish section of the deck spreading the impact over a larger area. Will also try my Ion mast pad on the bottom of the mast, instead of up by the boom for nose impacts. I do take foiling breaks off shore and sit on the board with the sail in the water and mast perpendicular to the board, in that position every wave rocks the board deck ridge into the mast and I can not stop it, and do not try with your hand because it will get crushed. Could get off the board and flip it upside down, but then I am floating in saltwater with sharks.

Deck ridge dents visible to the left of the mast track in the black area, also on other side.

New white diamond grid dual density EVA deck pads on either side of the mast track covering the deck ridge, 9" x 24". Do stand in that area to uphaul and also place my front foot there in light winds preflight.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
4 May 2021 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Was waiting for my longer M8 screws to arrive, to raise the mast base so the extension would not hit the deck ridge, when I tried seeing how much I could raise it using the stock screw. Turns out I can just get a 1/4" PVC spacer to fit, with the mast base raised 1/4" the extension hits the board on the other-side of the deck ridge, instead of right on it, and contacts 5 diamonds (on the padding) instead of just three without a spacer. Tried adding more 1/4" spacers but did not hit more diamonds. So will take it out tomorrow and see how it works in the water.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
5 May 2021 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Took it out today, worked great with deck pads and mast base 1/4" shim. And hit a manatee broadside, stopped the board hard, thought I hit an underwater pylon, no damage to board/foil box or AFS foil.

segler
WA, 1601 posts
5 May 2021 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

After hitting something (like the manatee) with a foil, Bruce Peterson says you should now change the foil wing screws. The front wing screws probably underwent a shear stress and should not not be trusted.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
6 May 2021 1:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
segler said..
After hitting something (like the manatee) with a foil, Bruce Peterson says you should now change the foil wing screws. The front wing screws probably underwent a shear stress and should not not be trusted.

got it, thanks

Sandman1221
2776 posts
10 May 2021 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandman1221 said..
Took it out today, worked great with deck pads and mast base 1/4" shim. And hit a manatee broadside, stopped the board hard, thought I hit an underwater pylon, no damage to board/foil box or AFS foil.

Not sure 1/4" spacer for mast base was enough to keep impacts off the deck ridge, went to 3/4" spacer and now mast hits on the downward slope of the deck past the ridge, did not feel any difference in handling, but I am not a pro.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
10 May 2021 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandman1221 said..

Sandman1221 said..

Not sure 1/4" spacer for mast base was enough to keep impacts off the deck ridge, went to 3/4" spacer and now mast hits on the downward slope of the deck past the ridge, did not feel any difference in handling, but I am not a pro.

made the spacers out of 1/4" PVC, seem to be holding up fine.

Sandman1221
2776 posts
12 May 2021 2:02AM
Thumbs Up

Do not know if it was available in 2019, but the 2020 Fanatic Gecko 135 has a flat deck and foil box with about the same dimensions as the Bolt, and with a V/double concave bottom w/o cutouts, little heavier.

JCBoston
54 posts
16 May 2021 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandman1221 said..

Sandman
Glad to hear you've found a deck solution. However, by the end of the story I'd frankly lost interest. More importantly, what's yer plan to stop threatening the lives of the local manatee population ?!?

Sandman1221
2776 posts
16 May 2021 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JCBoston said..

Sandman1221 said..

Sandman
Glad to hear you've found a deck solution. However, by the end of the story I'd frankly lost interest. More importantly, what's yer plan to stop threatening the lives of the local manatee population ?!?

I do look for sea life, but the bay water is tan colored due to mangroves, so manatees are hard to see. But the impact from a light weight foil rig is pretty minor for an adult manatee at around 400-550 kg! It is the boats and their props that are the real problem.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Review for Goya Bolt Pro 135L with foil box, deck issues and mods" started by Sandman1221